1. A constellation in the southern hemisphere near Telescopium and Norma.
4. Italian violin maker in Cremona.
9. Stalk of a moss capsule.
13. An internationally recognized distress signal in radio code.
16. (Irish) The sea personified.
17. (South African) A camp defended by a circular formation of wagons.
18. One of a set of small pieces of stiff paper marked in various ways and used for playing games or for telling fortunes.
19. A corporation's first offer to sell stock to the public.
20. Water frozen in the solid state.
21. Brazilian tree with handsomely marked wood.
22. Having fangs.
24. Gymnastic apparatus consisting of two parallel wooden bars supported on uprights.
26. A river that rises in northeastern Turkey (near the source of the Euphrates) and flows generally eastward through Armenia to the Caspian Sea.
27. The use of bacteria or viruses of toxins to destroy men and animals or food.
29. A member of the Siouan people of the Missouri river valley in NE Nebraska.
30. A medicinal drug used to evoke vomiting (especially in cases of drug overdose or poisoning).
33. Mild yellow Dutch cheese made in balls.
34. Title for a civil or military leader (especially in Turkey).
38. Cry plaintively.
42. The act of grasping.
47. A federal agency established to coordinate programs aimed at reducing pollution and protecting the environment.
50. A cord that is drawn through eyelets or around hooks in order to draw together two edges (as of a shoe or garment).
52. Made of calico or resembling calico in being patterned.
53. A town in central Belgium.
54. Deciduous shrubs and trees of tropical America having branches like candelabra and fragrant white or pink flowers.
57. The ratio of the distance traveled (in miles) to the time spent traveling (in hours).
58. Sew together very finely.
61. Consisting of or involving a single element or component.
62. King of Scotland (died in 1057).
65. A trivalent metallic element of the rare earth group.
66. A chronic inflammatory collagen disease affecting connective tissue (skin or joints).
67. A caustic detergent useful for removing grease.
69. A Gaelic-speaking Celt in Ireland or Scotland or the Isle of Man.
70. Being one hundred more than two hundred.
73. A genus of Lamnidae.
76. The basic unit of money in Bangladesh.
79. The act of scanning.
81. (legend) Chalice used by Christ at the last supper.
84. In bed.
85. A workplace for the conduct of scientific research.
87. A loose cloak with a hood.
89. (Judaism) Sacred chest where the ancient Hebrews kept the two tablets containing the Ten Commandments.
90. The table in Christian churches where communion is given.
92. A local computer network for communication between computers.
93. Seed of a pea plant.
94. Thin and weak.
95. United States tennis player who was the first Black to win United States and English singles championships (1943-1993).
96. A loose sleeveless outer garment made from aba cloth.
1. (law) A defense by an accused person purporting to show that he or she could not have committed the crime in question.
2. A summary that repeats the substance of a longer discussion.
3. Large west African tree having large palmately lobed leaves and axillary cymose panicles of small white flowers and one-winged seeds.
4. A flat wing-shaped process or winglike part of an organism.
5. A percussion instrument consisting of a pair of hollow pieces of wood or bone (usually held between the thumb and fingers) that are made to click together (as by Spanish dancers) in rhythm with the dance.
6. Any culture medium that uses agar as the gelling agent.
7. A three-tone Chadic language.
8. Plants with sword-shaped leaves and erect stalks bearing bright-colored flowers composed of three petals and three drooping sepals.
9. Someone who works (or provides workers) during a strike.
10. (Akkadian) God of wisdom.
11. Hormone released by the hypothalamus that controls the release of thyroid-stimulating hormone from the anterior pituitary.
12. (Babylonian) A demigod or first man.
13. Used of the language of the deaf.
14. An organization of countries formed in 1961 to agree on a common policy for the sale of petroleum.
15. A sodium salt of carbonic acid.
23. The center point on a shield.
25. Any of a number of fishes of the family Carangidae.
28. Flightless New Zealand rail of thievish disposition having short wings each with a spur used in fighting.
31. A soft white precious univalent metallic element having the highest electrical and thermal conductivity of any metal.
32. A member of the South American people living in Argentina and Bolivia and Paraguay.
35. White Southerner supporting Reconstruction policies after the Civil War usually for self-interest.
36. The basic unit of money in Lesotho.
37. Large edible mackerel of temperate United States coastal Atlantic waters.
39. A tumor consisting of fatty tissue.
40. Extinct small freshwater jawless fish usually having a heterocercal tail and an armored head.
41. (in enumerating something, such as topics or points of discussion) In the tenth place.
43. Having a play of lustrous rainbow-like colors.
44. A blank gap or missing part.
45. Evergreen Indian shrub with vivid yellow flowers whose bark is used in tanning.
46. Any of numerous local fertility and nature deities worshipped by ancient Semitic peoples.
48. Type genus of the Aceraceae.
49. A region of Malaysia in northeastern Borneo.
51. United States writer and leading exponent of transcendentalism (1803-1882).
55. An episode of such pastoral or romantic charm as to qualify as the subject of a poetic idyll.
56. The money risked on a gamble.
59. A city in central Alabama on the Alabama river.
60. Of or involving the rectum.
63. A city is southern Alberta.
64. The hair growing on the lower part of a man's face.
68. A rosid dicot genus that includes moon carrots.
69. Primitive predaceous North American fish covered with hard scales and having long jaws with needle-like teeth.
71. An esoteric or occult matter that is traditionally secret.
72. A coffee cake flavored with orange rind and raisins and almonds.
74. Sole genus of the family Naiadaceae.
75. The 1st letter of the Hebrew alphabet.
77. Cubes of meat marinated and cooked on a skewer usually with vegetables.
78. A city in southern Turkey on the Seyhan River.
80. The work of caring for or attending to someone or something.
81. A rare heavy polyvalent metallic element that resembles manganese chemically and is used in some alloys.
82. Studies intended to provide general knowledge and intellectual skills (rather than occupational or professional skills).
83. A less than average tide occurring at the first and third quarters of the moon.
86. (used especially of commodities) In the natural unprocessed condition.
87. A white metallic element that burns with a brilliant light.
88. Towards the side away from the wind.
91. A white metallic element that burns with a brilliant light.