1. A French abbot.
5. Gymnastic apparatus consisting of two parallel wooden bars supported on uprights.
9. A detailed description of design criteria for a piece of work.
13. Any of various units of capacity.
16. A sudden short attack.
17. A woman hired to suckle a child of someone else.
18. A member of the Athapaskan people of the Trinity River valley in California.
19. A flat wing-shaped process or winglike part of an organism.
20. In bed.
21. A member of the North American Indian people living in southern Arizona and northern Mexico.
22. A translucent mineral consisting of hydrated silica of variable color.
23. A rotating disk shaped to convert circular into linear motion.
24. A room or establishment where alcoholic drinks are served over a counter.
26. A large fleet.
28. A civil or military authority in Turkey or Egypt.
29. A long-playing phonograph record.
32. Toward the mouth or oral region.
34. Any of several small ungulate mammals of Africa and Asia with rodent-like incisors and feet with hooflike toes.
37. A small boat of shallow draft with cross thwarts for seats and rowlocks for oars with which it is propelled.
38. A legal document codifying the result of deliberations of a committee or society or legislative body.
41. A theatrical performer.
43. A heavy odorless colorless gas formed during respiration and by the decomposition of organic substances.
45. Largest known toad species.
46. A native or inhabitant of Scotland.
50. Date used in reckoning dates before the supposed year Christ was born.
51. The fifth day of the week.
52. Port city on southeastern Honshu in central Japan.
53. An associate degree in applied science.
55. A former communist country in eastern Europe and northern Asia.
57. A city in northwestern Syria.
58. A shop where a variety of goods are sold.
61. An archaic name for Easter or Passover.
63. Any of several weedy vetches grown for forage.
64. North American rat snakes.
65. The blood group whose red cells carry both the A and B antigens.
66. Of flax, hemp, or jute, so as to promote loosening of the fibers form the woody tissue.
67. A state in the Rocky Mountains.
68. Read anew.
69. A hard ferromagnetic silver-white bivalent or trivalent metallic element.
71. A cylindrical drawstring bag used by sailors to hold their clothing and other gear.
75. A soft silvery metallic element of the alkali metal group.
76. A ductile gray metallic element of the lanthanide series.
77. Large sweet juicy hybrid between tangerine and grapefruit having a thick wrinkled skin.
78. Lap at the front of a coat.
81. 10 grams.
83. The superior of an abbey of monks.
85. A member of a widespread group of Amerindians living in northeastern South America.
90. (Phoenician and Philistine) God of agriculture and the earth.
94. Material used to daub walls.
97. Plant with an elongated head of broad stalked leaves resembling celery.
98. A linear unit (1/6 inch) used in printing.
99. Having male and female reproductive organs in separate plants or animals.
100. A notable achievement.
101. Someone who works (or provides workers) during a strike.
102. (Italian) The proprietor of an inn.
103. Type genus of the Alcidae comprising solely the razorbill.
104. A source of oil.
1. An Arabic speaking person who lives in Arabia or North Africa.
2. A small cake leavened with yeast.
3. A coffin along with its stand.
4. A doctor's degree in education.
5. (Scotland) A small loaf or roll of soft bread.
6. Type genus of the Amiidae.
7. A rod used to ram the charge into a muzzle-loading firearm.
8. Creeping European clover having white to pink flowers and bright green leaves.
9. Cheap and shoddy.
10. An insect in the inactive stage of development (when it is not feeding) intermediate between larva and adult.
11. A federal agency established to coordinate programs aimed at reducing pollution and protecting the environment.
12. A high-crowned black cap (usually made of felt or sheepskin) worn by men in Turkey and Iran and the Caucasus.
13. An indehiscent fruit derived from a single ovary having one or many seeds within a fleshy wall or pericarp.
14. Pompous or pretentious talk or writing.
15. A Tibetan or Mongolian priest of Lamaism.
25. An independent ruler or chieftain (especially in Africa or Arabia).
27. American professional baseball player who hit more home runs than Babe Ruth (born in 1934).
29. Type genus of the family Astacidae.
30. One of two or more atoms with the same atomic number but with different numbers of neutrons.
31. A heavy ductile magnetic metallic element.
33. (British) A waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric.
35. A tangible symbol signifying approval or distinction.
36. Irish writer of the horror novel about Dracula (1847-1912).
39. The shell around the kernel of a nut.
40. An Indic language.
42. (Mexican) Corn and cornmeal dough stuffed with a meat mixture then wrapped in corn husks and steamed.
44. A constellation in the southern hemisphere near Telescopium and Norma.
47. Russian goldsmith noted for creating a series of jeweled and enameled Easter eggs for European royalty (1846-1920).
48. A person afflicted with leprosy.
49. Worn or shabby from overuse or (of pages) from having corners turned down.
54. Spaced apart.
56. Lean end of the neck.
59. Someone who copies the words or behavior of another.
60. According to the Old Testament he was a pagan king of Israel and husband of Jezebel (9th century BC).
62. A dark-skinned member of a race of people living in Australia when Europeans arrived.
70. A state of Uganda and site of a former Bantu kingdom.
71. An indehiscent fruit derived from a single ovary having one or many seeds within a fleshy wall or pericarp.
72. Any of various plants of the genus Albuca having large clusters of pale yellow flowers.
73. African tree having an exceedingly thick trunk and fruit that resembles a gourd and has an edible pulp called monkey bread.
74. (usually followed by `to') Naturally disposed toward.
79. (folklore) A corpse that rises at night to drink the blood of the living.
80. A unit of acoustic absorption equivalent to the absorption by a square foot of a surface that absorbs all incident sound.
81. An informal term for a father.
82. A public promotion of some product or service.
84. The Tibeto-Burman language spoken in the Dali region of Yunnan.
86. A public act of violence by an unruly mob.
87. Type genus of the Aceraceae.
88. A city in east central Texas.
89. A secret society of white Southerners to resist Black emancipation.
91. A Gaelic-speaking Celt in Ireland or Scotland or the Isle of Man.
92. An organization of countries formed in 1961 to agree on a common policy for the sale of petroleum.
93. A quantity of no importance.
95. An ester of adenosine that is converted to ATP for energy storage.
96. The compass point midway between northeast and east.
97. A radioactive element of the actinide series.