1. A large sandwich made of a long crusty roll split lengthwise and filled with meats and cheese (and tomato and onion and lettuce and condiments).
4. English botanist who accompanied Captain Cook on his first voyage to the Pacific Ocean (1743-1820).
9. A French abbot.
13. Standard time in the 8th time zone west of Greenwich, reckoned at the 120th meridian west.
16. (Old Testament) Adam's wife in Judeo-Christian mythology.
17. The clay from which adobe bricks are made.
18. A submachine gun operated by gas pressure.
19. The sense organ for hearing and equilibrium.
20. A group of islands in the Atlantic off the Carolina coast.
22. In a foreign country.
24. Owed and payable immediately or on demand.
25. (Old Testament) The wife of Abraham and mother of Isaac.
26. A gray tetravalent metallic element that resembles zirconium chemically and is found in zirconium minerals.
27. A sudden short attack.
29. (Babylonian) God of storms and wind.
32. Harsh or corrosive in tone.
33. A substance produced by the hypothalamus that is capable of accelerating the secretion of a given hormone by the anterior pituitary gland.
35. Give a nickname to.
37. A Chadic language spoken south of Lake Chad.
39. Yellow-fever mosquitos.
43. A telegram sent abroad.
46. A series of steps to be carried out or goals to be accomplished.
49. A radioactive transuranic element produced by bombarding plutonium with neutrons.
50. Angular distance above the horizon (especially of a celestial object).
51. A note appended to a letter after the signature.
52. Watery fluid of the blood that resembles plasma but contains fibrinogen.
53. Tag the base runner to get him out.
55. Powdery starch from certain sago palms.
57. An organization of countries formed in 1961 to agree on a common policy for the sale of petroleum.
60. The state of matter distinguished from the solid and liquid states by.
62. Wild sheep of northern Africa.
64. Avatar of Vishnu.
65. Tropical trees having papery leaves and large fruit.
67. The blood group whose red cells carry both the A and B antigens.
68. Goddess of criminal rashness and its punishment.
69. Relating to or characteristic of a tribe.
71. Cubes of meat marinated and cooked on a skewer usually with vegetables.
73. A unit of absorbed ionizing radiation equal to 100 ergs per gram of irradiated material.
74. A flat wing-shaped process or winglike part of an organism.
77. A colorless and odorless inert gas.
79. A rapid escape (as by criminals).
85. (Italian cookery) Squid prepared as food.
90. A facial expression of contempt or scorn.
92. The compass point that is one point east (clockwise) of due north.
93. Lacking motor coordination.
94. (usually preceded by `in') A detail or point.
95. The compass point that is one point north of due east.
96. The central area of a church.
97. A river in north central Switzerland that runs northeast into the Rhine.
99. A small island.
100. God of the underworld.
101. Bound or secured closely.
102. Having or displaying warmth or affection.
103. Distinguished from Bovidae by the male's having solid deciduous antlers.
1. The compass point that is one point south of southeast.
2. The part of the eye that contains the iris and ciliary body and choroid.
3. United States baseball player (born 1925).
4. A German style of architecture begun by Walter Gropius in 1918.
5. A condition (mostly in boys) characterized by behavioral and learning disorders.
6. The Hebrew patriarch who saved himself and his family and the animals by building an ark in which they survived 40 days and 40 nights of rain.
7. A unit of information equal to 1024 bytes.
8. Relating to or characteristic of or occurring on the sea or ships.
9. Wear away.
10. Cooking by direct exposure to radiant heat (as over a fire or under a grill).
11. Covered with beads of liquid.
12. Either extremity of something that has length.
13. A tricycle (usually propelled by pedalling).
14. Of or relating to Saudi Arabia or its people.
15. A step in walking or running.
21. Cause to go crazy.
23. Someone who pays (or otherwise incites) you to commit a wrongful act.
28. Tall feather palm of northern Brazil with hard-shelled nuts yielding valuable oil and a kind of vegetable ivory.
30. A logarithmic unit of sound intensity.
31. Capital of the state of Oregon in the northwestern part of the state on the Willamette River.
34. Any of a group of hard crystalline minerals that consist of aluminum silicates of potassium or sodium or calcium or barium.
36. A woman's headscarf folded into a triangle and tied under the chine.
38. (informal) Of the highest quality.
40. An official prosecutor for a judicial district.
41. English theoretical physicist who applied relativity theory to quantum mechanics and predicted the existence of antimatter and the positron (1902-1984).
42. Leaf or strip from a leaf of the talipot palm used in India for writing paper.
44. (music) Without breaks between notes.
45. Submerged freshwater perennials.
47. Established by or founded upon law or official or accepted rules.
48. Squash bugs.
54. The cry made by sheep.
56. A city in southern Turkey on the Seyhan River.
58. An independent ruler or chieftain (especially in Africa or Arabia).
59. An esoteric or occult matter that is traditionally secret.
61. A small cake leavened with yeast.
63. A Russian river.
66. Have confidence or faith in.
70. Not capable of being swayed or diverted from a course.
71. A condition (mostly in boys) characterized by behavioral and learning disorders.
72. Any of various insects that feed and form galls on conifers.
73. A tricycle (usually propelled by pedalling).
75. Made afraid.
76. A midwestern state in north central United States in the Great Lakes region.
78. Spiritual leader of a Jewish congregation.
80. New Zealand conifer.
81. Tropical American tree producing cacao beans.
82. A radioactive element of the actinide series.
83. Common black European thrush.
84. (often plural) A command given by a superior (e.g., a military or law enforcement officer) that must be obeyed.
86. A transparent optical device used to converge or diverge transmitted light and to form images.
87. An extravagantly enthusiastic review.
88. Made agreeably cold (especially by ice).
89. French cabaret singer (1915-1963).
90. A sweetened beverage of diluted fruit juice.
91. Freedom from difficulty or hardship or effort.
98. A radioactive gaseous element formed by the disintegration of radium.