1. The part of the nervous system of vertebrates that controls involuntary actions of the smooth muscles and heart and glands.
4. Find repugnant.
9. (trademark) A liquid that temporarily disables a person.
13. Not reflecting light.
16. A long thin fluffy scarf of feathers or fur.
17. Stingless male bee in a colony of social bees (especially honeybees) whose sole function is to mate with the queen.
18. Beside one another in a row or rank.
19. Title for a civil or military leader (especially in Turkey).
20. The capital city of the Chinese province of Gansu on the Yellow River.
22. A mobile mass of muscular tissue covered with mucous membrane and located in the oral cavity.
24. The federal agency that insures residential mortgages.
25. A carriage consisting of two wheels and calash top.
26. Of or involving or contained in the arteries.
29. Any of various spiny trees or shrubs of the genus Acacia.
31. English scholar remembered for his chronology of Shakespeare's plays and his editions of Shakespeare and Dryden (1741-1812).
33. The ratio of the circumference to the diameter of a circle.
35. The syllable naming the sixth (submediant) note of a major or minor scale in solmization.
37. The process of becoming mildewed.
41. The table in Christian churches where communion is given.
46. The event of something burning (often destructive).
47. A grouping of a number of similar things.
48. A prolific German composer noted for his oratorios (1685-1759).
51. Plaything consisting of a light frame covered with tissue paper.
53. Guiding star.
55. A primeval personification of air and breath.
56. Goat grass.
58. Tree of low-lying coastal areas of southeastern United States having glossy leaves and racemes of fragrant white flowers.
59. United States liquid unit equal to 4 quarts or 3.785 liters.
61. The capital of Western Samoa.
62. A passage with access only at one end.
63. Marked by foolish or unreasoning fondness.
66. The interpretation in harmonious bodily movements of the rhythm of musical compositions.
69. English theoretical physicist who applied relativity theory to quantum mechanics and predicted the existence of antimatter and the positron (1902-1984).
70. An ester of adenosine that is converted to ATP for energy storage.
73. Any branch of Shinto other than Kokka.
74. A medieval form of land tenure in England.
78. Have an existence, be extant.
82. An esoteric or occult matter that is traditionally secret.
85. Type genus of the Amiidae.
88. A unit of length (in United States and Britain) equal to one twelfth of a foot.
89. American novelist (1909-1955).
90. Large short-tailed lemur of Madagascar having thick silky fur in black and white and fawn.
93. A ghostly appearing figure.
94. Hard fat around the kidneys and loins in beef and mutton.
95. Moths whose larvae are cutworms.
97. Wild sheep of northern Africa.
98. The 11th letter of the Hebrew alphabet.
99. Someone who responds.
100. A small cake leavened with yeast.
1. A bachelor's degree in library science.
2. The Hebrew patriarch who saved himself and his family and the animals by building an ark in which they survived 40 days and 40 nights of rain.
3. The capital and largest city of Yemen.
4. Hormone secreted by the posterior pituitary gland (trade name Pitressin) and also by nerve endings in the hypothalamus.
5. A decorative pin worn by women.
6. A voluptuously beautiful young woman.
7. In operation or operational.
8. A network of intersecting blood vessels or intersecting nerves or intersecting lymph vessels.
9. Wildly disordered.
10. Wild sheep of semidesert regions in central Asia.
11. A unit of electrical charge equal to the amount of charge transferred by a current of 1 ampere in 1 second.
12. A member of a people living in southern Benin and Togo and southeastern Ghana.
13. A Chadic language spoken south of Lake Chad.
14. Title for a civil or military leader (especially in Turkey).
15. An official language of the Republic of South Africa.
21. Mediterranean plant widely cultivated as a houseplant for its showy dark green leaves splotched with silver and nodding white or pink to reddish flowers with reflexed petals.
23. Chief deity of Zoroastrianism.
27. A hard gray lustrous metallic element that is highly corrosion-resistant.
28. Capital and largest city of Northern Ireland.
30. An association of people to promote the welfare of senior citizens.
32. A hard malleable ductile silvery metallic element that is resistant to corrosion.
34. A mountain peak in the Andes in Bolivia (21,201 feet high).
36. A mountain peak in the southern Sinai Peninsula (7,500 feet high).
38. Two items of the same kind.
39. A mistake in printed matter resulting from mechanical failures of some kind.
40. In a weary manner.
42. Providing protective supervision.
43. The cardinal number that is the sum of four and one.
44. A special way of doing something.
45. Type genus of the family Alopiidae.
49. Run away secretly with one's beloved.
50. A bachelor's degree in religion.
52. A flat-bottomed volcanic crater that was formed by an explosion.
54. The fourth month of the Hindu calendar.
57. A white soft metallic element that tarnishes readily.
60. Made from baking chocolate or cocoa powder and milk and sugar.
64. King of Scotland (died in 1057).
65. The longer of the two telegraphic signals used in Morse code.
67. The dialect of Chinese spoken in Canton and neighboring provinces and in Hong Kong and elsewhere outside China.
68. A car driven by a person whose job is to take passengers where they want to go in exchange for money.
69. A Chadic language spoken south of Lake Chad.
71. An uproarious party.
72. Flesh of large European flatfish.
75. A folded part (as a fold of skin or muscle).
76. A language group of the Hokan family.
77. Diabetes caused by a relative or absolute deficiency of insulin and characterized by polyuria.
79. (prefix) Within.
80. Of inferior or mixed breed.
81. (Greek mythology) The Titaness who was mother of Helios and Selene and Eos in ancient mythology.
83. Largest known toad species.
84. A short high tone produced as a signal or warning.
86. A small island.
87. South American armadillo with three bands of bony plates.
91. Acute delirium caused by alcohol poisoning.
92. (used especially of commodities) In the natural unprocessed condition.
96. A colorless and odorless inert gas.