1. The elementary stages of any subject (usually plural).
4. A kind of heavy jacket (`windcheater' is a British term).
9. Harsh or corrosive in tone.
13. A health resort near a spring or at the seaside.
16. The longer of the two telegraphic signals used in Morse code.
17. A projecting bay window corbeled or cantilevered out from a wall.
18. The closing section of a musical composition.
19. 4-wheeled motor vehicle.
20. American prizefighter who won the world heavyweight championship three times (born in 1942).
21. Jordan's port.
22. (Old Testament) The eldest son of Isaac who would have inherited the Covenant that God made with Abraham and that Abraham passed on to Isaac.
23. A unit of surface area equal to 100 square meters.
24. English theoretical physicist who applied relativity theory to quantum mechanics and predicted the existence of antimatter and the positron (1902-1984).
26. Soft white semisolid fat obtained by rendering the fatty tissue of the hog v 1.
28. A coffee cake flavored with orange rind and raisins and almonds.
29. The blood group whose red cells carry both the A and B antigens.
30. A tributary of the Rhine.
32. A city in western Germany near the Dutch and Belgian borders.
35. A small pellet fired from an air rifle or BB gun.
37. Strong liquor flavored with juniper berries.
39. A port city in southwestern Turkey on the Gulf of Antalya.
43. A town in northern Michigan on an arm of Lake Huron.
47. North American woodland herb similar to and used as substitute for the Chinese ginseng.
48. A Russian prison camp for political prisoners.
51. A hymn of praise (especially one sung in ancient Greece to invoke or thank a deity).
53. A cruel wicked and inhuman person.
55. A passage with access only at one end.
56. A United Nations agency that invest directly in companies and guarantees loans to private investors.
60. Cabbage butterflies.
62. A wound resulting from biting.
63. Using speech rather than writing.
64. (of disease or anything resembling a disease) Constantly present to greater or lesser extent in a particular locality.
66. A French river that flows through the heart of Paris and then northward into the English Channel.
68. A Mid-Atlantic state.
71. A light informal meal.
73. Title for a civil or military leader (especially in Turkey).
76. An alloy of copper and zinc (and sometimes arsenic) used to imitate gold in cheap jewelry and for gilding.
79. English monk and scholar (672-735).
82. Sluggish tailless Australian arboreal marsupial with gray furry ears and coat.
84. A celibate and communistic Christian sect in the United States.
86. Strike sharply.
87. A groove or furrow (especially one in soft earth caused by wheels).
88. Situated in a particular spot or position.
90. Apathy and inactivity in the practice of virtue (personified as one of the deadly sins).
92. A lyric poem with complex stanza forms.
93. The capital of Egypt and the largest city in Africa.
94. A town and port in northwestern Israel in the eastern Mediterranean.
96. Electrical conduction through a gas in an applied electric field.
97. A coenzyme derived from the B vitamin nicotinic acid.
98. Of or relating to or characteristic of Asia or the peoples of Asia or their languages or culture.
99. A sudden short attack.
100. A strong solution of sodium or potassium hydroxide.
1. (Babylonian) God of storms and wind.
2. An island in Indonesia east of Java.
3. Make a vibrant noise, of grasshoppers or cicadas.
4. Cooking in simmering liquid.
5. (Judaism) Sacred chest where the ancient Hebrews kept the two tablets containing the Ten Commandments.
6. The basic unit of money in Iran.
7. Cubes of meat marinated and cooked on a skewer usually with vegetables.
8. (botany) Of or relating to the axil.
9. (informal) Of the highest quality.
10. Ratio of the hypotenuse to the opposite side.
11. An agency of the United Nations affiliated with the World Bank.
12. Smeared thickly.
13. Someone who works (or provides workers) during a strike.
14. A large area of land preserved in its natural state as public property.
15. A particular geographical region of indefinite boundary (usually serving some special purpose or distinguished by its people or culture or geography).
25. Extremely dirty and corrupt.
27. The capital and largest city of Bangladesh.
29. Squash bugs.
31. A nucleic acid that transmits genetic information from DNA to the cytoplasm.
33. Herbs and subshrubs.
34. (astronomy) The angular distance of a celestial point measured westward along the celestial equator from the zenith crossing.
36. Flesh of very large tuna.
38. Flat surface that rotates and pushes against air or water.
40. An East Indian sailor.
41. Without compunction or human feeling.
42. In a nimble or agile manner.
44. Situated in a particular spot or position.
45. German mystic and theosophist who founded modern theosophy.
46. A group of islands off the west coast of Sicily in the Mediterranean.
49. (Old Testament) The second patriarch.
50. A state in New England.
52. Someone who is so ardently devoted to something that it resembles an addiction.
54. A major European river carrying more traffic than any other river in the world.
57. An anticipated outcome that is intended or that guides your planned actions.
58. A soft heavy toxic malleable metallic element.
59. Thin usually unleavened johnnycake made of cornmeal.
61. Belonging to or befitting a supreme ruler.
65. Armor plate that protects the foot.
67. Tag the base runner to get him out.
69. A member of the Semitic speaking people of northern Ethiopia.
70. A dissolute man in fashionable society.
72. A green dye, often used to color cloth, which is obtained from the woad plant.
73. (Judaism) Sacred chest where the ancient Hebrews kept the two tablets containing the Ten Commandments.
74. Mild cream-colored Dutch cheese shaped in balls.
75. Treated with contempt.
77. (computer science) American Standard Code for Information Interchange.
78. Any of numerous trees of the family Cupressaceae that resemble cedars.
79. (of champagne) Moderately dry.
80. A farm where dairy products are produced.
81. With rapid movements.
83. Type genus of the Alcidae comprising solely the razorbill.
85. British writer of short stories (1870-1916).
86. A piece of furniture that provides a place to sleep.
89. An association of countries in the western hemisphere.
91. Someone who is morally reprehensible.
95. Unknown god.