1. The elementary stages of any subject (usually plural).
4. Living in or characteristic of farming or country life.
9. English illustrator of several of Dickens' novels (1815-1882).
13. Strike suddenly and with force.
16. The syllable naming the sixth (submediant) note of a major or minor scale in solmization.
17. (used of count nouns) Each and all of the members of a group considered singly and without exception.
18. The basic unit of money on Malta.
19. An inflated feeling of pride in your superiority to others.
20. A fastener (as a buckle or hook) that is used to hold two things together.
22. An electrical conductor that makes a common connection between several circuits.
24. Norwegian composer whose work was often inspired by Norwegian folk music (1843-1907).
26. First in order of importance.
27. Omission of a sound between two words (usually a vowel and the end of one word or the beginning of the next).
29. Founder of Christian Science in 1866 (1821-1910).
30. A religious sect founded in the United States in 1966.
32. Crested screamers.
34. Relating to or caused by or afflicted with sciatica.
37. Being one more than seventeen.
40. United States playwright who collaborated with George S. Kaufman (1904-1961).
41. Russian country house.
45. The syllable naming the fourth (subdominant) note of the diatonic scale in solmization.
46. Informal terms for a mother.
47. Studies intended to provide general knowledge and intellectual skills (rather than occupational or professional skills).
48. Of or relating to or supporting Hinduism.
51. An artificial source of visible illumination.
53. Roman Emperor who succeeded Tiberius and whose uncontrolled passions resulted in manifest insanity.
56. Being nine more than ninety.
57. 4-wheeled motor vehicle.
58. A bachelor's degree in naval science.
59. Having columns at one or both ends but not along the sides.
62. A member of one of the four divisions of the prehistoric Greeks.
65. A language unit by which a person or thing is known.
66. A large number or amount.
67. A blood group antigen possessed by Rh-positive people.
68. Marked by a rhythmical cadence.
71. Pale gray.
72. Boiled or baked buckwheat.
75. Plant with an elongated head of broad stalked leaves resembling celery.
77. A member of the majority people of Punjab in northwestern India.
81. State in eastern India on the Bay of Bengal.
83. An ornamental net in the shape of a bag that confines a woman's hair.
86. Type genus of the family Arcidae.
90. A funeral procession.
92. A high-crowned black cap (usually made of felt or sheepskin) worn by men in Turkey and Iran and the Caucasus.
94. A river in north central Switzerland that runs northeast into the Rhine.
95. The quality of a color as determined by its dominant wavelength.
96. A long piece of brightly colored cloth (cotton or silk) used as clothing (a skirt or loincloth or sash etc.) in India and Pakistan and Burma.
98. A Russian river.
99. An agency of the United Nations affiliated with the World Bank.
100. Relating to or characteristic of or occurring on the sea or ships.
101. Genus of sticky herbs with yellow flowers open in morning or evening but closed in bright light.
102. Someone who works (or provides workers) during a strike.
103. A young woman making her debut into society.
1. Type genus of the Alcidae comprising solely the razorbill.
2. Round object that is hit or thrown or kicked in games.
3. A boy or man.
4. The food served and eaten at one time.
5. Radiation lying in the ultraviolet range.
6. (Old Testament) Wife of Isaac and mother of Jacob and Esau.
7. An artificial language intended for international use as an auxiliary language.
8. Any substance (such as an antibody) or agent that can cause lysis.
9. Flesh of large European flatfish.
10. Emperor of Japan who renounced his divinity and became a constitutional monarch after Japan surrendered at the end of World War II (1901-1989).
11. A heavy brittle metallic element of the platinum group.
12. An angular shape characterized by sharp turns in alternating directions.
13. A family of fish in the order Zeomorphi.
14. Advanced in years.
15. (Great Britain) Money received from the state.
21. (Chinese and Japanese) Treatment of symptoms by applying pressure with the fingers to specific pressure points on the body.
23. A bachelor's degree in science.
25. Available to rent or lease.
28. Someone (especially a woman) who annoys people by constantly finding fault.
31. Scottish sea captain who was hired to protect British shipping in the Indian Ocean and then was accused of piracy and hanged (1645-1701).
33. 300 to 3000 megahertz.
35. South American caracara.
36. An Asian river.
38. 1 species.
39. A nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug (trade name Naprosyn) used in the treatment of arthritis and musculoskeletal inflammation and moderate pain.
42. A small cut of meat including part of a rib.
43. The handle of a sword or dagger.
44. An electrical device that sends or receives radio or television signals.
49. English theoretical physicist who applied relativity theory to quantum mechanics and predicted the existence of antimatter and the positron (1902-1984).
50. Treated with oil.
52. Placed crosswise.
54. The compass point that is one point east of due south.
55. Any of several tropical and subtropical treelike herbs of the genus Musa having a terminal crown of large entire leaves and usually bearing hanging clusters of elongated fruits.
60. A primeval personification of air and breath.
61. A state in northwestern North America.
63. Struck with fear, dread, or consternation.
64. A radioactive element of the actinide series.
69. A light touch or stroke.
70. Any plant of the genus Episcia.
73. A Japanese shrub that resembles members of the genus Spiraea.
74. Italian Benedictine monk who was archbishop of Canterbury from 1093 to 1109.
76. A trivalent metallic element of the rare earth group.
78. Tree of the West Indies and northern South America bearing succulent edible orange-sized fruit.
79. The place where people vote.
80. A city in southern Turkey on the Seyhan River.
82. A dissolute man in fashionable society.
84. A silvery soft waxy metallic element of the alkali metal group.
85. An organization of countries formed in 1961 to agree on a common policy for the sale of petroleum.
87. A sudden short attack.
88. (of a young animal) Abandoned by its mother and raised by hand.
89. An Arabic speaking person who lives in Arabia or North Africa.
91. Either extremity of something that has length.
93. A compartment in front of a motor vehicle where driver sits.
97. Of or relating to the stomach and intestines.