1. (sports) The chief official (as in boxing or American football) who is expected to ensure fair play.
4. A detailed description of design criteria for a piece of work.
8. Small beads made from polished shells and formerly used as money by native Americans.
12. A professional cook.
16. Being nine more than thirty.
17. English monk and scholar (672-735).
18. A sensation (as of a cold breeze or bright light) that precedes the onset of certain disorders such as a migraine attack or epileptic seizure.
19. A river in north central Switzerland that runs northeast into the Rhine.
20. An organization of countries formed in 1961 to agree on a common policy for the sale of petroleum.
22. Surrounded by hostile forces.
24. A state of agitated irritation.
25. 100 toea equal 1 kina.
26. An amoeba-like protozoan with a chitinous shell resembling an umbrella.
28. The portion of the vertebrate nervous system consisting of the brain and spinal cord.
30. A white soft metallic element that tarnishes readily.
31. A chronic inflammatory collagen disease affecting connective tissue (skin or joints).
33. German publisher of a series of travel guidebooks (1801-1859).
36. Type genus of the Anatidae.
38. Slow to learn or understand.
42. An edge tool with a heavy bladed head mounted across a handle.
43. A radioactive element of the actinide series.
45. A state in the Rocky Mountains.
47. Wearing or provided with clothing.
49. Before noon.
51. A Chadic language spoken south of Lake Chad.
53. Metal or earthenware cooking vessel that is usually round and deep.
54. Cubes of meat marinated and cooked on a skewer usually with vegetables.
55. Type genus of the Amiidae.
58. An official prosecutor for a judicial district.
60. An international organization based in Geneva that monitors and enforces rules governing global trade.
63. A trite or obvious remark.
65. An Arabic speaking person who lives in Arabia or North Africa.
67. A keel-shaped constellation in the southern hemisphere.
68. Someone who kills by strangling.
69. (used especially of vegetation) Having lost all moisture.
70. Large arboreal boa of tropical South America.
71. A Mid-Atlantic state.
72. Evasively worded in order to avoid an unqualified statement.
74. A silvery soft waxy metallic element of the alkali metal group.
77. A state in midwestern United States.
78. Aircraft landing in bad weather in which the pilot is talked down by ground control using precision approach radar.
83. Type genus of the Adelgidae.
89. A river that rises in northern Colombia and flows generally eastward to the Orinoco in central Venezuela.
90. Molding in the form of a ring.
91. Covered with scabs.
93. Black tropical American cuckoo.
94. Being two more than fifty.
95. Having an irregularly notched or toothed margin as though gnawed.
97. Ditch dug as a fortification and usually filled with water.
98. A unit of length of thread or yarn.
99. Late time of life.
100. Being or serving as an illustration of a type.
101. A member of the Siouan people formerly living in the Missouri river valley in NE Nebraska.
102. A condition (mostly in boys) characterized by behavioral and learning disorders.
1. A public act of violence by an unruly mob.
2. A collection of things (goods or works of art etc.) for public display.
3. The wool of a sheep or similar animal.
4. A metallic element having four allotropic forms.
5. Having nine hinged bands of bony plates.
6. United States swimmer who in 1926 became the first woman to swim the English Channel (1903- ).
7. Dried bark of the cascara buckthorn used as a laxative.
8. (Spanish) Saffron-flavored dish made of rice with shellfish and chicken.
9. Marine and freshwater green or colorless flagellate organism.
10. A particular geographical region of indefinite boundary (usually serving some special purpose or distinguished by its people or culture or geography).
11. An anxiety disorder characterized by chronic free-floating anxiety and such symptoms as tension or sweating or trembling of light-headedness or irritability etc that has lasted for more than six months.
12. A steep descent of the water of a river.
13. A coil of rope or wool or yarn.
14. A member of an Iroquoian people formerly living on the south shore of Lake Erie in northern Ohio and northwest Pennsylvania and western New York.
15. An elaborate party (often outdoors).
21. Any of the yeastlike imperfect fungi of the genus Candida.
23. That is to say.
27. The blood group whose red cells carry both the A and B antigens.
29. A toxic nonmetallic element related to sulfur and tellurium.
32. A very poisonous metallic element that has three allotropic forms.
34. A dead axle on a carriage or wagon that has terminal spindles on which the wheel revolve.
35. Large brownish-green New Zealand parrot.
37. (Babylonian) God of storms and wind.
39. Remove from its packing.
40. Black gallinule that inhabits ponds and lakes.
41. Group of guns or missile launchers operated together at one place.
44. A medical establishment run by a group of medical specialists.
46. A rare silvery (usually trivalent) metallic element.
48. On a ship, train, plane or other vehicle.
50. United States naval officer and historian (1840-1914).
52. An indehiscent fruit derived from a single ovary having one or many seeds within a fleshy wall or pericarp.
56. Philippine tree similar to the breadfruit tree bearing edible fruit.
57. Type genus of the Annonaceae.
59. A picture (or series of pictures) representing a continuous scene.
61. Any of a number of fishes of the family Carangidae.
62. A member of an extinct North American Indian people who lived in the Pit river valley in northern California.
64. A gonadotropic hormone that is secreted by the anterior pituitary.
66. Decorate with, or as if with, gold leaf or liquid gold.
73. A young eagle.
75. Any of several compounds of barium.
76. The largest city of Cameroon.
79. Ratio of the hypotenuse to the opposite side.
80. A region of Malaysia in northeastern Borneo.
81. (of complexion) Blemished by imperfections of the skin.
82. Submerged aquatic plant having narrow leaves and small flowers.
84. The lower house of the parliament of the Republic of Ireland.
85. A town in north central Oklahoma.
86. Suggestive of the supernatural.
87. The event of something ending.
88. Russian physicist (1895-1971).
92. A long thin fluffy scarf of feathers or fur.
96. A complete metric system of units of measurement for scientists.