1. The scum formed by oxidation at the surface of molten metals.
5. The cardinal number that is the product of 10 and 100.
9. A long (usually round) rod of wood or metal or plastic.
13. The basic unit of electric current adopted under the System International d'Unites.
16. Goddess of the dead and queen of the underworld.
17. Dutch astronomer who proved that the galaxy is rotating and proposed the existence of the Oort cloud (1900-1992).
18. A constellation in the polar region of the southern hemisphere near Octans.
19. A strong solution of sodium or potassium hydroxide.
20. In a weird manner.
22. A region of northeastern France famous for its wines.
24. The molecular weight of a substance expressed in grams.
25. A state in northwestern North America.
26. A rule made by a local authority to regulate its own affairs.
28. A dull persistent (usually moderately intense) pain.
30. A workplace for the conduct of scientific research.
31. A woman hired to suckle a child of someone else.
33. Again but in a new or different way.
34. Any plant of the genus Reseda.
37. Mentally or physically infirm with age.
38. The basic unit of money in Bangladesh.
40. (Babylonian) God of storms and wind.
41. Income from capital investment paid in a series of regular payments.
44. An indehiscent fruit derived from a single ovary having one or many seeds within a fleshy wall or pericarp.
47. A doctor's degree in education.
49. A city in central Illinois on the Illinois River.
51. A gonadotropic hormone that is secreted by the anterior pituitary.
52. A radioactive element of the actinide series.
53. Large short-tailed lemur of Madagascar having thick silky fur in black and white and fawn.
55. A constellation in the southern hemisphere near Telescopium and Norma.
56. A unit of information equal to one million (1,048,576) bytes.
57. Suggestive of the supernatural.
59. (Greek mythology) Goddess of wisdom and useful arts and prudent warfare.
61. Cubes of meat marinated and cooked on a skewer usually with vegetables.
63. The products of human creativity.
64. An intricate traditional dance in India performed by professional dancing girls.
68. A New England state.
69. The federal agency that insures residential mortgages.
71. A federal agency established to regulate the release of new foods and health-related products.
72. The first compartment of the stomach of a ruminant.
73. Worn or shabby from overuse or (of pages) from having corners turned down.
78. A major industrial center in northeastern China on the Grand Canal near the Yellow Sea.
81. In operation or operational.
82. An instinctive motive.
89. A medium for oil-paints.
90. Treated with wax.
92. A white soft metallic element that tarnishes readily.
93. A soft silvery metallic element of the alkali earth group.
94. Massive plantigrade carnivorous or omnivorous mammals with long shaggy coats and strong claws.
95. Any of a number of fishes of the family Carangidae.
97. A narrow elongated opening or fissure between two symmetrical parts.
100. German naturalist whose speculations that plants and animals are made up of tiny living `infusoria' led to the cell theory (1779-1851).
101. The inner and longer of the two bones of the human forearm.
102. Type genus of the Anatidae.
103. (Irish) Mother of the ancient Irish gods.
1. A neutral middle vowel.
2. Plant having a large slender white bulb and flat overlapping dark green leaves.
3. American prizefighter who won the world heavyweight championship three times (born in 1942).
4. Lacking orderly continuity.
5. A gate or bar across a toll bridge or toll road which is lifted when the toll is paid.
6. Any plant of the genus Hoya having fleshy leaves and usually nectariferous flowers.
7. A state in northwestern United States on the Pacific.
8. A reptile genus of Iguanidae.
9. An archaic name for Easter or Passover.
10. Large elliptical brightly colored deep-sea fish of Atlantic and Pacific and Mediterranean.
11. Softly bright or radiant.
12. The compass point midway between east and southeast.
13. An annual publication including weather forecasts and other miscellaneous information arranged according to the calendar of a given year.
14. A person with myopia.
15. A chain of more than 200 islands about 400 miles long in the western central Pacific Ocean.
21. Two items of the same kind.
23. (South African) A camp defended by a circular formation of wagons.
27. German composer and inventor of the music drama (1813-1883).
29. Flightless New Zealand birds similar to gallinules.
32. A Powhatan Indian woman (the daughter of Powhatan) who befriended the English at Jamestown and is said to have saved Captain John Smith's life (1595-1617).
35. Order of mammals having few or no teeth including.
36. (Hinduism) An ascetic holy man.
39. (usually followed by `to') Having the necessary means or skill or know-how or authority to do something.
42. A federal agency established to coordinate programs aimed at reducing pollution and protecting the environment.
43. A small tent used as a dressing room beside the sea or a swimming pool.
45. Marked by cairns.
46. The simplest ketone.
48. A bluish-white lustrous metallic element.
50. To fix or set securely or deeply.
54. Tie again or anew.
58. Especially fine or decorative clothing.
60. 30 to 300 gigahertz.
62. Suggestive of an elf in strangeness and otherworldliness.
65. A rare silvery (usually trivalent) metallic element.
66. Electrical conduction through a gas in an applied electric field.
67. Mucus-secreting membrane lining all body cavities or passages that communicate with the exterior.
70. A television system that has more than the usual number of lines per frame so its pictures show more detail.
74. Popular music originating in the West Indies.
75. 1/10 gram.
76. A nation in northern North America.
77. An associate degree in nursing.
79. A resident of Iowa.
80. A nonmetallic element belonging to the halogens.
81. A fractional monetary unit of several countries.
83. A distinctive odor that is offensively unpleasant.
84. Earn on some commercial or business transaction.
85. (Akkadian) Father of the gods and consort of Tiamat.
86. By bad luck.
87. Very dark black.
88. Avatar of Vishnu.
91. A period marked by distinctive character or reckoned from a fixed point or event.
96. Being ten more than one hundred forty.
98. Informal terms for a mother.
99. An informal term for a father.