1. Resinlike substance secreted by certain lac insects.
4. Understood in a certain way.
9. Fertility goddess in ancient Greek mythology.
13. Counting the number of white and red blood cells and the number of platelets in 1 cubic millimeter of blood.
16. South American wood sorrel cultivated for its edible tubers.
17. Scale-like structure between the base of the wing and the halter of a two-winged fly.
18. A British peer ranking below a Marquess and above a Viscount.
19. A plant hormone promoting elongation of stems and roots.
20. The fatty flesh of eel.
21. Large dark brown North American arboreal carnivorous mammal.
22. Make a plat of.
23. Someone who is morally reprehensible.
24. (informal) Exceptionally good.
26. The cardinal number that is the sum of eight and one.
27. Administer an oil or ointment to.
29. A state of Uganda and site of a former Bantu kingdom.
32. (comparative of `near') Being the one of two that is less distant in space.
34. Brazilian tree with handsomely marked wood.
37. Acute ulceration of the mucous membranes of the mouth or genitals.
40. A rare silvery (usually trivalent) metallic element.
41. A soft gray ductile metallic element used in alloys.
42. United States writer (born in Poland) who wrote in Yiddish (1880-1957).
45. (informal) Of the highest quality.
46. A colorless and odorless inert gas.
47. An inactive volcano in Sicily.
51. A unit of pressure equal to 0.001316 atmosphere.
53. Dearly loved.
54. A coffee cake flavored with orange rind and raisins and almonds.
57. Smaller of two tall fast-running flightless birds similar to ostriches but three-toed.
59. Of or relating to or characteristic of Thailand of its people.
60. (Norse mythology) Goddess of old age who defeated Thor in a wrestling match.
62. The widely studied plant virus that causes tobacco mosaic.
63. The compass point that is one point north of due east.
64. 30 to 300 kilohertz.
65. A region of Malaysia in northeastern Borneo.
68. In an artful manner.
73. A toxic nonmetallic element related to sulfur and tellurium.
74. Savory jelly based on fish or meat stock used as a mold for meats or vegetables.
77. A diuretic drug (trade name Esidrix and HydroDIURIL) used in the treatment of hypertension.
84. Of a moderate orange-yellow color.
87. A person who acts as host at formal occasions (makes an introductory speech and introduces other speakers).
89. Submerged aquatic plant having narrow leaves and small flowers.
90. Miscellaneous unspecified artifacts.
93. An island in the Aegean Sea in the Saronic Gulf.
95. A doctor's degree in dental medicine.
96. Capital and largest city of Togo.
97. Small beads made from polished shells and formerly used as money by native Americans.
99. Great merriment.
100. The compass point midway between northeast and east.
101. The third day of the week.
102. A long depression in the surface of the land that usually contains a river.
103. A vehicle mounted on runners and pulled by horses or dogs.
104. An informal term for a father.
1. United States physiologist (born in Germany) who did research on parthenogenesis (1859-1924).
2. Type genus of the Aceraceae.
3. West Indian tree having racemes of fragrant white flowers and yielding a durable timber and resinous juice.
4. The sound made by a gentle blow.
5. Fermented alcoholic beverage similar to but heavier than beer.
6. A famous waterfall in Venezuela.
7. Either of two large African antelopes of the genus Taurotragus having short spirally twisted horns in both sexes.
8. Wife of Balder.
9. Having a slightly undulating margin.
10. Ground snakes.
11. A period marked by distinctive character or reckoned from a fixed point or event.
12. The table in Christian churches where communion is given.
13. A linear unit of the size of type slightly larger than an em.
14. Any of numerous local fertility and nature deities worshipped by ancient Semitic peoples.
15. (of a young animal) Abandoned by its mother and raised by hand.
25. Bottom-dwelling coastal fishes with spiny armored heads and fingerlike pectoral fins used for crawling along the sea bottom.
28. A Uralic language spoken by a Samoyed people of northern Siberia.
30. A castrated tomcat.
31. The blood group whose red cells carry both the A and B antigens.
33. An Arabic speaking person who lives in Arabia or North Africa.
35. (British) Liable to payment of rates or taxes.
36. According to the Old Testament he was a pagan king of Israel and husband of Jezebel (9th century BC).
38. A percussion instrument with wooden bars tuned to produce a chromatic scale and with resonators.
39. Accomplishment of an objective.
43. A island in the Netherlands Antilles that is the top of an extinct volcano.
44. A long chair.
48. A woman who is the custodian of children.
49. A doctor's degree in optometry.
50. Food mixtures either arranged on a plate or tossed and served with a moist dressing.
52. The cardinal number that is the sum of seven and one.
55. Cubes of meat marinated and cooked on a skewer usually with vegetables.
56. The branch of computer science that deal with writing computer programs that can solve problems creatively.
58. Roman misspelling for Odysseus.
61. A gonadotropic hormone that is secreted by the anterior pituitary.
66. An associate degree in nursing.
67. A genus of Ploceidae.
69. (Greek mythology) The father of Odysseus.
70. Used in combination to denote the middle.
71. A unit of area (4840 square yards) used in English-speaking countries.
72. Dyed with henna.
75. The ratio of the circumference to the diameter of a circle.
76. A soft silvery metallic element of the alkali earth group.
78. An iconic mental representation.
79. Being one more than ninety.
80. German composer.
81. Having help.
82. A genus of Lamnidae.
83. Combined or joined to increase in size or quantity or scope.
85. The imperial dynasty of China from 1122 to 221 BC.
86. Stable gear consisting of either of two curved supports that are attached to the collar of a draft horse and that hold the traces.
88. Oval reproductive body of a fowl (especially a hen) used as food.
91. A poliovirus vaccine consisting of inactivated polio virus that is injected subcutaneously to provide immunity to poliomyelitis.
92. Relating to or characteristic of or occurring on the sea or ships.
94. (meaning literally `born') Used to indicate the maiden or family name of a married woman.
98. A silvery ductile metallic element found primarily in bauxite.