1. A federally chartered savings bank.
4. The brightly colored garments of a jockey.
9. Stairway in India leading down to a landing on the water.
13. The residue that remains when something is burned.
16. South American wood sorrel cultivated for its edible tubers.
17. A river in southeastern France.
18. A flat float (usually made of logs or planks) that can be used for transport or as a platform for swimmers.
19. Any thick messy substance.
20. Type genus of the Ranidae.
22. (bridge) A bid that is higher than your opponent's bid (especially when your partner has not bid at all and your bid exceeds the value of your hand).
25. United States swimmer who in 1926 became the first woman to swim the English Channel (1903- ).
27. A game in which numbered balls are drawn and random and players cover the corresponding numbers on their cards.
29. A colorless and odorless inert gas.
30. A sudden occurrence (or recurrence) of a disease.
31. A bachelor's degree in religion.
33. Submit or yield to another's wish or opinion.
36. A river in north central Switzerland that runs northeast into the Rhine.
38. Tropical woody herb with showy yellow flowers and flat pods.
42. A member of a European people who occupied Britain and Spain and Gaul in pre-Roman times.
43. A nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug (trade name Clinoril).
47. Small ornamental ladies' bag for small articles.
48. Having winglike extensions.
50. An amino acid that is found in the central nervous system.
52. Of or relating to punishment.
53. (informal) Of the highest quality.
56. A large vase that usually has a pedestal or feet.
59. A salt or ester of hydriodic acid.
60. Being three more than fifty.
62. Roman Emperor who was the adoptive son of Trajan.
63. A hard brittle blue-white multivalent metallic element.
64. An anticipated outcome that is intended or that guides your planned actions.
65. Dried bark of the cascara buckthorn used as a laxative.
67. A sweetened beverage of diluted fruit juice.
69. A light strong gray lustrous corrosion-resistant metallic element used in strong light-weight alloys (as for airplane parts).
70. Type genus of the Ochotonidae.
74. Common Indian weaverbird.
76. (British) Your grandmother.
77. A white powder with a pleasant taste and odor.
79. Of or relating to or containing barium.
82. Generic term for inflammatory conditions of the skin.
85. Squash bugs.
88. A bet that you can pick the first and second finishers in the right order.
90. A nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug (trade name Ansaid) that is administered only orally.
92. A republic in the Middle East in western Asia.
93. Lacking in light.
94. A United Nations agency created to assist developing nations by loans guaranteed by member governments.
96. An open receptacle for holding or displaying or serving articles or food.
97. A fabric made from the fine threads produced by certain insect larvae.
98. A flat wing-shaped process or winglike part of an organism.
99. A small restaurant where drinks and snacks are sold.
100. A dull persistent (usually moderately intense) pain.
101. (prefix) Outside or outer.
1. (nautical) Situated at or toward the bow of a vessel.
2. Any of a number of fishes of the family Carangidae.
3. Something causes misery or death.
4. A complete metric system of units of measurement for scientists.
5. Type and genus of the Isoetaceae and sole extant genus of the order Isoetales.
6. The basic unit of money in Bulgaria.
7. English biochemist (born in Germany) who discovered the Krebs cycle (1900-1981).
8. (used especially of vegetation) Having lost all moisture.
9. The father of your father or mother.
10. An indication of radiant light drawn around the head of a saint.
11. A federation of North American labor unions that merged with the Congress of Industrial Organizations in 1955.
12. (astronomy) A measure of time defined by Earth's orbital motion.
13. Title for a civil or military leader (especially in Turkey).
14. An upholstered seat for more than one person.
15. Showing characteristics of age, especially having gray or white hair.
21. A short aria.
23. A small tent used as a dressing room beside the sea or a swimming pool.
24. Slowly broken down or crumbled into dust.
26. A digital display that uses liquid crystal cells that change reflectivity in an applied electric field.
28. Being one more than one hundred.
32. A former agency (from 1946 to 1974) that was responsible for research into atomic energy and its peacetime uses in the United States.
34. Grown for its thickened edible aromatic root.
35. Characteristic of a clan especially in being unified.
37. A Hindu prince or king in India.
39. Inability to coordinate voluntary muscle movements.
40. Wetness in the atmosphere.
41. Presence of excess lipids in the blood.
44. Of or relating to or characteristic of Uganda or its people.
45. A workman who laces shoes or footballs or books (during binding).
46. Old World herbs and subshrubs.
49. Angular distance above the horizon (especially of a celestial object).
51. A straight line connecting two points on a curve.
54. Someone who is critical of the motives of others.
55. Stout-bodied insect with large membranous wings.
57. American professional baseball player who hit more home runs than Babe Ruth (born in 1934).
58. A rare silvery (usually trivalent) metallic element.
61. Relating to or having the characteristics on an icon.
66. Lacking motor coordination.
67. Type and genus of the Isoetaceae and sole extant genus of the order Isoetales.
68. Stain (furniture) black to make it look like ebony.
69. Title for a civil or military leader (especially in Turkey).
71. A covered passageway.
72. Sacred text of Zoroastrianism.
73. (Old Testament) The first of the major Hebrew prophets (8th century BC).
74. A state in southeastern United States between the Atlantic and the Gulf of Mexico.
75. King of the Visigoths who captured Rome in 410 (370-410).
78. A white soft metallic element that tarnishes readily.
80. The upper angle between an axis and an offshoot such as a branch or leafstalk.
81. Avatar of Vishnu.
83. A bluish-white lustrous metallic element.
84. Made from residue of grapes or apples after pressing.
86. Containing or filled with salt.
87. A town and port in northwestern Israel in the eastern Mediterranean.
89. A loose sleeveless outer garment made from aba cloth.
91. A usually soluble substance for staining or coloring e.g. fabrics or hair.
95. A substance produced by the hypothalamus that is capable of accelerating the secretion of a given hormone by the anterior pituitary gland.