1. A caustic detergent useful for removing grease.
4. A brief description given for purposes of identification.
9. Telephone line (Wide Area Telephone Service).
13. Title for a civil or military leader (especially in Turkey).
16. An international organization of European countries formed after World War II to reduce trade barriers and increase cooperation among its members.
17. Italian violin maker in Cremona.
18. A blue dye obtained from plants or made synthetically.
19. Mythical bird of prey having enormous size and strength.
20. A nucleic acid that transmits genetic information from DNA to the cytoplasm.
21. Sung or uttered rhythmically in a monotone.
23. United States film actor (born in 1925).
25. A small cake leavened with yeast.
27. Causing alarm or fear.
29. Exhibiting or restored to vigorous good health.
30. A river in north central Switzerland that runs northeast into the Rhine.
32. The branch of engineering science that studies the uses of electricity and the equipment for power generation and distribution and the control of machines and communication.
33. Open to or abounding in fresh air.
34. Summer cypress.
38. Scottish philosopher of common sense who opposed the ideas of David Hume (1710-1796).
39. (used of count nouns) Every one considered individually.
42. (Irish) Mother of the ancient Irish gods.
45. Set down according to a plan.
46. (Akkadian) God of wisdom.
47. Open-heart surgery in which the rib cage is opened and a section of a blood vessel is grafted from the aorta to the coronary artery to bypass the blocked section of the coronary artery and improve the blood supply to the heart.
49. T-shaped cleaning implement with a rubber edge across the top.
51. A formation of people or things one beside another.
53. Cubes of meat marinated and cooked on a skewer usually with vegetables.
54. An (apparently) flying object whose nature is unknown.
55. A colorless and odorless inert gas.
57. (Scotland) A slope or hillside.
61. A tiny or scarcely detectable amount.
62. Before noon.
63. (usually followed by `to') Having the necessary means or skill or know-how or authority to do something.
64. A sizeable hole (usually in the ground).
65. A metallic element of the rare earth group.
67. The mission in San Antonio where in 1836 Mexican forces under Santa Anna besieged and massacred American rebels who were fighting to make Texas independent of Mexico.
70. Tropical fruit with a rough brownish skin and very sweet brownish pulp.
73. In an unnatural eery manner.
77. A white linen liturgical vestment with sleeves.
79. An Arabic speaking person who lives in Arabia or North Africa.
80. King of the Vandals who seized Roman lands and invaded North Africa and sacked Rome (428-477).
82. A member of a people who have no permanent home but move about according to the seasons.
85. The sacred city of Lamaism.
89. Any of various strong liquors distilled from the fermented sap of toddy palms or from fermented molasses.
91. Pertaining to the purchase of insurance policies from terminally ill policy holders.
93. An audiotape recording of sound.
96. Deliver by singing.
97. A sweetened beverage of diluted fruit juice.
98. Chief port of Yemen.
99. English prelate noted for his pessimistic sermons and articles (1860-1954).
100. The content of cognition.
1. A member of a Slavic people who settled in Serbia and neighboring areas in the 6th and 7th centuries.
2. A Russian river.
3. Someone who works (or provides workers) during a strike.
4. Resinlike substance secreted by certain lac insects.
5. A member of the Semitic speaking people of northern Ethiopia.
6. Any of numerous local fertility and nature deities worshipped by ancient Semitic peoples.
7. An inactive volcano in Sicily.
8. A metric unit of capacity equal to the volume of 1 kilogram of pure water at 4 degrees centigrade and 760 mm of mercury (or approximately 1.76 pints).
9. Gully or streambed in North Africa and the Middle East that remains dry except during rainy season.
10. An associate degree in nursing.
11. Lace bugs.
12. An inflammatory disease of connective tissue with variable features including fever and weakness and fatigability and joint pains and skin lesions on the face or neck or arms.
13. A large fleet.
14. The state of affairs that a plan is intended to achieve and that (when achieved) terminates behavior intended to achieve it.
15. An inflammatory disease involving the sebaceous glands of the skin.
22. Come out into view, as from concealment.
24. Someone who tries to persuade by blandishment and coaxing.
26. An associate degree in applied science.
28. A worker who attaches something by nailing it.
31. A resource.
35. An organism (especially a bacterium) that does not require air or free oxygen to live.
36. A midnight meeting of witches to practice witchcraft and sorcery.
37. Any light downy material.
40. A member of a religious order living in common.
41. Relating to the blood vessels or blood.
43. A protective structure resembling a scale.
44. (in Gnosticism) A divine power or nature emanating from the Supreme Being and playing various roles in the operation of the universe.
48. (Greek mythology) Goddess of the earth and mother of Cronus and the Titans in ancient mythology.
50. United States film actress (born in Sweden) known for her reclusiveness (1905-1990).
52. Any of various small terrestrial or aquatic crustaceans with seven pairs of legs adapted for crawling.
56. A nonmetallic largely pentavalent heavy volatile corrosive dark brown liquid element belonging to the halogens.
58. The syllable naming the fourth (subdominant) note of the diatonic scale in solmization.
59. (prosody) Of or consisting of iambs.
60. (Norse mythology) The chief race of gods living at Asgard.
66. Wearing or provided with clothing.
68. A genus of Sparidae.
69. (biology) Having or resembling wings.
71. Departing or being caused to depart from the true vertical or horizontal.
72. An ancient board game resembling backgammon.
73. A large fleet.
74. Having branches.
75. A republic in the Middle East in western Asia.
76. A soft silvery metallic element.
78. The act of ceding.
81. Being one more than six.
83. Toward the mouth or oral region.
84. The front of the head from the forehead to the chin and ear to ear.
86. Harsh or corrosive in tone.
87. Mentally healthy.
88. Primitive chlorophyll-containing mainly aquatic eukaryotic organisms lacking true stems and roots and leaves.
90. A boy or man.
92. Used of a single unit or thing.
94. A state in northwestern United States on the Pacific.
95. The ratio of the circumference to the diameter of a circle.