1. An unforeseen obstacle.
5. (trademark) A tinned luncheon meat made largely from pork.
9. Any group or radical of the form RCO- where R is an organic group.
13. A flexible container with a single opening.
16. Remove with or as if with a ladle.
17. Relating to the Urdu language.
18. Female equine animal.
19. An inflated feeling of pride in your superiority to others.
20. Title for a civil or military leader (especially in Turkey).
23. A city in northeastern Ohio.
25. A genus of Ploceidae.
27. Modulation of the frequency of the (radio) carrier wave.
28. German musician who developed a system for teaching music to children (1895-1982).
30. An inactive volcano in Sicily.
31. A large waterfall on the border between Argentina and Brazil.
33. Cut or impressed into a surface.
35. A connecting point at which several lines come together.
38. A hard brittle blue-white multivalent metallic element.
40. United States composer noted for his innovative use of polytonality (1874-1954).
44. A small constellation in the polar region of the southern hemisphere near the Southern Cross and Chamaeleon.
48. A self-replicating protein molecule that occupies a fixed place on a chromosome.
49. An independent ruler or chieftain (especially in Africa or Arabia).
50. United States naval officer and historian (1840-1914).
51. Norse chieftan who became the first duke of Normandy (860-931).
54. A logarithmic unit of sound intensity.
56. Large northern deer with enormous flattened antlers in the male.
57. Tastelessness by virtue of being cheap and vulgar.
58. A university town in east central Maine on the Penobscot River north of Bangor.
60. The second largest continent.
63. The remains of a dead body after cremation.
66. Someone who has or gives or receives a part or a share.
68. A radioactive element of the actinide series.
69. The district occupied entirely by the city of Washington.
72. A quantity of no importance.
73. The title of the ancient Egyptian kings.
76. A member of the Mayan people of the Yucatan peninsula in Mexico.
78. Mediterranean plant widely cultivated as a houseplant for its showy dark green leaves splotched with silver and nodding white or pink to reddish flowers with reflexed petals.
80. A Powhatan Indian woman (the daughter of Powhatan) who befriended the English at Jamestown and is said to have saved Captain John Smith's life (1595-1617).
84. A representation of the Virgin Mary mourning over the dead body of Jesus.
86. Physicist honored for advances in solid state electronics (born in Japan in 1925).
88. A unit of dry measure used in Egypt.
89. Valuable timber tree of New Zealand yielding hard reddish wood used for furniture and bridges and wharves.
91. A constellation in the southern hemisphere near Reticulum and Pictor.
93. Make amends for.
94. An infection of the sebaceous gland of the eyelid.
95. Remove a bar from (a door, for example).
97. A Chadic language spoken south of Lake Chad.
99. A close friend who accompanies his buddies in their activities.
100. A metric unit of volume or capacity equal to 10 liters.
101. A river that rises in central Germany and flows north to join the Elbe River.
102. (in Gnosticism) A divine power or nature emanating from the Supreme Being and playing various roles in the operation of the universe.
103. A loose sleeveless outer garment made from aba cloth.
1. A blow from a flat object (as an open hand).
2. Kamarupan languages spoken in northeastern India and western Burma.
3. (Babylonian) God of storms and wind.
4. A brittle gray crystalline element that is a semiconducting metalloid (resembling silicon) used in transistors.
5. A port in southern Lebanon on the Mediterranean Sea.
6. A short introductory essay preceding the text of a book.
7. American Revolutionary patriot.
8. Water soaked soil.
9. An Asian river between China and Russia.
10. Young of domestic cattle.
11. A period of time containing 365 (or 366) days.
12. A unit of length of thread or yarn.
13. A job in an organization.
14. Gone by.
15. A gland in which gametes (sex cells) are produced.
21. 10 grams.
22. Being one more than thirteen.
24. A member of a South American Indian people in Peru who were formerly the ruling class of the Inca empire.
26. German engineer (born in France) who invented the diesel engine (1858-1913).
29. A fixed charge for a privilege or for professional services.
32. Caught in European waters.
34. Russian physicist (1895-1971).
36. Be central or dominant.
37. Be a sign or indication of.
39. A unit of length equal to 3 feet.
41. A soft silvery metallic element of the alkali metal group.
42. Wheelwork consisting of a connected set of rotating gears by which force is transmitted or motion or torque is changed.
43. A brittle silver-white metalloid element that is related to selenium and sulfur.
45. The wife of a sheik.
46. Used of certain religious orders who wear shoes.
47. The capital of Turkey.
52. A federal agency established to regulate the release of new foods and health-related products.
53. (anatomy) A structure that resembles a shell in shape.
55. Any of several compounds of barium.
59. An organization of countries formed in 1961 to agree on a common policy for the sale of petroleum.
61. A linear unit of length equal to 12 inches or a third of a yard.
62. A feeling of deep and bitter anger and ill-will.
64. Small to medium evergreen dioecious trees of oceanic climates.
65. A material effigy that is worshipped as a god.
67. An Old World reptile family of Sauria.
70. Something very ugly and offensive.
71. Of or relating to or associated with the moon.
74. The organic group of acetic acid (CH3CO-).
75. A mite of the genus Acarus.
76. An ancient city of Sumer located on a former channel of the Euphrates River.
77. The 7th letter of the Greek alphabet.
79. An award for winning a championship or commemorating some other event.
81. (Babylonian) A demigod or first man.
82. Cubes of meat marinated and cooked on a skewer usually with vegetables.
83. A promontory in northern Morocco opposite the Rock of Gibraltar.
85. A tiny or scarcely detectable amount.
87. God of love and erotic desire.
90. (Irish) Mother of the ancient Irish gods.
91. (informal) Of the highest quality.
92. A member of the Siouan people living in the Yazoo river valley in Mississippi.
96. A soft silvery metallic element of the alkali earth group.
98. An associate degree in nursing.